Feb 19, 2013

グリーヴァ / Grieva VSHELF Interview Translation [Part 4]


-- Please tell us about this time's album recording. What was difficult about it, and what were the parts that you turned your attention to?

Kyouki: For me it was "-kikei-". We didn't record this song the ordinary way. We turned our attention to to what extent we were able to put emotion into it when recording. The other songs were recorded quickly compared to it, but this song I just couldn't approve of, no matter how many times we re-recorded it. It took quite some time.

Haru: To me, it's all of the songs. We used different equipment than we use at lives when we recorded. Therefore I was really worried regarding the sounds. Because it was our first fill album, I absolutely wanted to create something me myself can approve of. So when I felt "this isn't what I wanted" after finishing recording, I recorded it again. I did a lot of trying and making mistakes.

Roku: For me it was "Kanashimi wa meguriyuku kisetsu to nemuru ai" ["Sadness is the returning seasons and sleeping sorrow "]. Because it's a ballad I was worried about creating the sounds. I made lots of use of "clean" (?), but of this alone there are three different kinds. I also used the instrument itself for different purposes when I was recording. I was really dussing over this. Because it's a ballad I wanted it to convey a sense of cleanliness.

Hisame: For me it were the two songs "Kodoku ningyou shoukougun" ["Lonely puppet syndrome"] and "Keihou dai-39-jou dai-1-kou 'shinshin soushitsu NO koui WA kore WO baSSESU'" ["Criminal Law, Article 39, Paragraph 1: 'An act of insanity is not punishable'"]*. Because these two songs are complete live songs, I also wanted to convey that rough live sound on the CD. So I played all the other songs seated, but these two songs I played standing.

Kyouki: Eh? Really?

Roku: No way!? I didn't know.

Hisame: I didn't really mention it, but yes, it's true (laugh). When I played them seated I though "it sounds wrong" and it just didn't feel right.

-- This was a recording episode the members also just learned about (laugh). What about Rui?

Rui: For me it was "Kairi-sei douitsu-sei shougai" ["Dissociative Identity Disorder"]. This song got finished comparatively recently but I was really worried about the arrangement of the drums. At first, when I listened to the demo I received, I thought about it on my own, but it just didn't come to me clearly. So I asked for the others' help when we were at the studio and we did the arrangement together. We tried various things in order to find out what would sound the best. In the end, worrying was unnecessary and it sounds even better now than I had imagined, therefore I'm satisfied.

-- Okay, to conclude, please tell us about your ideal image as a band, and your goals as players.

Kyouki: I just want to keep our point of view as a band. And just a little, I want many people to listen to Grieva's songs. And as a vocal, I don't just want to become good at singing, I want to put emotions and my heart into the songs as well. Therefore, I don't just want to pursue skillfullness, but also how to express myself.

Roku: I just aim to be a cool guitarist who is playing the guitar standing on stage. I want to become a guitarist who has this certain aura.

Rui: I think at the moment I'm playing quite furiously, but when I look at the recorded lives, I feel like my movements are still quite small. Therefore, I want to becoma a strong and intense drummer, visually and sound-wise.

Haru: I love technical play and I also aim at improving my personal technique. But as a live band, I also want to put out that Grieva-ness more and more. That's why I want to play a different kind of guitar every time. I want people to say "it's different" and "it's interesting" when they see me.

Hisame: I want to become someone who is respected more than someone who respects someone else and aims to be like them. I think more than being "the best", wanting to become a "unique" bassist is much better.

--
* Translation of the Article here.
Translated by me, please don't copy without permission (・ω・)
Original interview in Japanese here: http://visual.musicshelf.jp/interview/id1153/ 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment