Feb 15, 2013

グリーヴァ / Grieva VSHELF Interview Translation [Part 2]



-- What about you, Hisame?

Hisame: I wanted to be in a band since about middle school. In High school, I joined the light music club. The friends I made there liked Visual kei and I also liked Visual kei from early on but I've never been to a live. So these friends took me along and I went to see my first live. This had enormous impact on me and I thought "I want to do Visual kei!". I only started playing bass after I joined the music club but when I played bass I really got into the feeling and the sounds. From then on I went to see lives in order to become a bassist.

Haru: I originally liked and listened to western music and started guitar because of it. I listened to various kinds of songs, but a friend recommened a Visual kei live to me that I went to see and came to yearn for the intense parts of Visual kei. My inspiration to play guitar was western music, but my motivation to be in a band has been Visual kei from the beginning. Unlike in other genres, the sense of unity in a band is somehow greater in Visual kei [than in other genres], isn't it. I really like that about it.

Rui: In my case, I came to listen to the J-Pop that came on TV during middle school, but a friend who was in a band was looking for a drummer. An really, ever since I was a grade school student, we had a drumset in our house and I was taught the basics by my parents and could play a little. So I said "well, I will play [the drums for you]".  Taking part in this was how I started being in bands.

-- Having a drumset in one's house is a rather rare circumstance, isn't it? Were your parents having you playing music as well?

Rui: Weeell, I really liked music but, I never played anything seriously.

The drumset my dad had was originally belonging to an aquiantance who said "when I throw it away, you can have it", and so we inherited it. Therefore that drumset got quite past its best times, and I already disposed of it, since it became useless. This was the story of how I first got in touch with playing drums.

Kyouki: You're part of the elite now, eh (laugh).

-- Cerainly! It's just normal to be worried as a drummer if you can't place a full drum set in your house.

Rui: When I think about it now, I was really blessed.

-- What about Roku?

Roku: When I was in middle school, a friend made me listen to DIR EN GREY's "six ugly" and I started to like them. We started to talk about taking part in the middle school graduation live and so I was in my first band. I was doing drums back then, but somehow it didn't really suit me. As for drums, there are special guys like Rui but normally one can't place a drumset in ones house, so one can hardly ever practice. That's why I thought about what I could have in my home and chose guitar. I bought a cheap guitar and practiced in my home. So I became a guitarist without a realy motivation.

-- It's been 7 months since Grieva started but, how well do you guys get along?

Kyouki: I think quite well. Everyone portrays their own individual persona as well.

-- Would it be okay for you to explain everyone's persona?

Kyouki: Ehm, first we have kamite* guitarist Roku. He's the guitarist with the stylish movements. He's someone with a cool way of enchanting people. Shimote* guitarist Haru is the one with the many technically refined guitar solos. But while he is enchanting with his sounds, his moves are also intense. Bassist Hisame's persona is androgynous and his staging is mysterious. Hisame is someone who will show you a unique smile during a live. Rui is surely the wild one among us. He's playing drums while rocking hard.

Roku: (While pointing on a picture of the interview) I'm a lot like this persona. Judging from the appearance, my persona and its looks are quite equal.

-- I see. As an interviewer, it's helping a lot that all of you have very distinct hair colors (laugh).

Kyouki: We get told this a lot (laugh).

--
Kamite = Guitarist on the right side of the stage
Shimote = Guitarist on the left side of the stage
Translated by me, please don't copy without permission (・ω・)
Full interview in Japanese here: http://visual.musicshelf.jp/interview/id1153/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment